Sunday, July 3, 2022

Lord Stanley

I was never really the same after my dogs died.

I lost Sid on Thanksgiving weekend in 2019.

Claude passed over Xmas in 2020.

My boys were my world.

For so long it was just me, Sid and Claude in our little apartment, making it day by day.

Their fur dried tears.

They listened intently, no matter what I said.

They were the gentlest, sweetest friends.

Sid was my best friend for 11 years.

Claude for 6 as he was a senior boy when he chose me.

Sid the Kid and the Frenchman.

Their names adorn the wall of the shelter that saved them and allowed me to have my life blessed with the two sweetest creatures to have ever lived.


 Brad was a dog lover.

Vinny came from the Rescue League in New Brunswick and he always called him his first child.

Where there was Brad there was Vinny; later, where there was Brad there was Vinny and where there was Brad there was me and where there was me there was Claude.

Brad was there when Claude took his last breath and, as the receptionist at the vet clinic said, "You'll have another, you have too much love to give not to," he laughed and said, "I'm hoping I can give her a place for that love now."

And he did.

Until he was taken away.

There is a saying that grief is love with no place to go.

And I believe that.

Two days ago I watched a video from the same shelter that had saved Sid and Claude - Beagle Paws.

Brad supported my love of beagles and Beagle Paws.

We fostered over snowstorms and he had asked just weeks before he was stolen if I would like to set up a monthly donation to support a senior beagle.

The seniors always had a place in both of our hearts.

At 3 minutes in there was a senior beagle who lifted his sleepy, silver head.

His name is Stanley.

Yesterday I went to meet Stanley and his little senior eyes held so much love.

Today I am Stanley's foster mom and he is snoring by my feet, cuddled on his new bed.

Later we'll have a nap, cuddle in some blankets like Sid, Claude and I loved to do and take a walk around our new neighbourhood.

Brad and I had said when Claude and Vinny passed there would not be more dogs.

Our hearts could not handle the loss and what it meant to say goodbye to your best friend.

I've said goodbye to my three best friends now.

But I don't think he would be upset that I made an exception to our rule.

Grief is love with no place to go.

There is a place for some of that love to go now.

No new home is complete without some beagle hair in it.

And I've achieved what every hockey player dreams of -

I've won the Stanley Pup!





No comments:

Post a Comment