Thursday, November 10, 2022

Vincent

"Shadows on the hills,
Sketch the trees and the daffodils.
Catch the breeze and the winter chills,
In colors on the snowy linen land..."

It was April.

We had met in a January, my eyes meeting his and wondering who this kind, gentle person was talking arena fries and how it was so good to meet me.

A Twitter message solidified it and this person who I was asking my friend Raylene about, who was just well spoken and adorable in both parts, was her former coworker.

I had never expected to see him again.

"I think you're my cyber crush."

And in my head I was thinking, "And I thought you were previously anonymous but here we are."

And so we talked, we met, we hit milestones, we made our family on music and love and everything that came before us.

And we made us.

It is kind of funny - 

After that encounter we talked for months because I was so guarded. He talked me through my first tattoo in Edmonton, talked me out of buying three pairs of leggings at Underarmour, talked me through a panic attack when I was stuck on the plane and was my comfort when I landed.

Always my comfort when I landed.

I had never landed at the airport again without meeting him at the bottom of the stairs with his hugs and kisses.

Until I did not.

"Barb, there is something wrong. Brad isn't here."

Whether that was landing from a bad day, landing from a manic episode, landing from a day or two or three in the doldrums, he was always there and he was always my comfort.

When I say he was always there when I landed since the first day we had met I do not simply mean at an airport.

Brad was always there when I landed.

There are a few things:

I have been on antidepressants for anxiety since I was 15. Do they help? I don't know. They don't take away the dream or the elephant on my chest but I wonder how it would be without them. Maybe it is time for a tweak.

He was there when I landed on amytriptaline after my accident and my right hand is a messy, ugly, demolished excuse that tries to hold a pen.

He was there when I was so tired I questioned myself and who, what I was. He was there. He made sure I did not close my eyes thinking that way.

And now he is gone.

Tomorrow I complete my sleeve.

And I look at how cold it has became and wonder how the seasons dare change without him. How did he miss all of that sun and summer? The windows of the house should have been open with music blaring, not me trying to find a house with windows to blare it from.

I have stared at this blank area for months now, thinking nothing felt worthy of occupying it and being the finality.

Finality.

That is not even a word my vocabulary recognizes but it one I must accept.

A couple of years ago I played Don LcClean's "Vincent" so much that when Brian Fallon released a powerful song of the same name Brad exclaimed, "THIS IS NOT THE SAME JESUS SONG, IS IT?!?"

It was not.

But at the same time I laughed at his knowing how Vincent spoke to me.

So, with this empty piece on my elbow, my sleeve already his memorial with his compass going his direction, his clock when he died, the replica candle from his sleeve, the anchor for him and for my dad - it needed one more meaningful piece.

Don McClean found it.

"A silver thorn on bloody rose..."

He laughed when I played it over and over and swore to him it was the poet in me who simply loved the words. And he would play it fifteen times in a row had I asked.

These little memories cut the soul.

They hurt.

"How you suffered for your sanity..."

I'm always suffering for my sanity but hey, Brad, I'm hanging on. It's all I have.

And I just picture us listening to this now, on our couch, Colton asleep, and us singing along.

And I promise you one thing,

"I could have told you, Vincent, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you."

It wasn't, though.

Goodnight, love.

Starry, starry night.

No comments:

Post a Comment