Monday, December 4, 2017

Self care.

Well, buddy, it's been a week, let me tell you.

The house is in shambles and my brain is in shambles and life feels like it's in shambles sometimes but it's time to take a deep breath, focus and clean it all up.

But there are some good things. Hopeful things. Things that make me happy when I wake up in the morning and make me believe everything works out in the end.

When life comes at you hard and things change, isn't it funny how many Ann Landers-esque folks crawl out of the woodwork to tell you just exactly what you need to do, or should do, or what you should eat/listen to/watch/do/drink/join.

B'ys.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, I know, but knock off.

#unsolicitedadvice

Know what grinds my gears? "Self care."

Whatever self care is, if we could bottle it we'd cure the Israel-Palestine conflict, apparently.

Self care.

"You need to take time for yourself! Get a mani-pedi! Take a bath! Go get yo' hurrrrr did and be fierce!"

Well, guess what, Susan, those of us who don't get mani-pedis on the reg, and shower quickly and shave our legs while we're eating breakfast halfway in and halfway out of the shower if we eat breakfast at all, do not generally do it because we choose to not take care of ourselves.

I take care of myself.

I run hard, train hard, beat the crap out of myself at hockey and eat generally well. I also drink a lot of wine and eat dip in the shed.

Shit depends on us and, quite honestly, having a $75 set of gel nails won't make me feel like I have my shit together.

And I am fierce. And I get my hurr did. Every 8 weeks and my roots are out right now. It doesn't bother me.

So, please, do not suggest that, for some reason, the fact that things are a little upside down means any of us do not take care of ourselves. The concept of "self care" is subjective and what makes you feel good is not necessarily what care means to the rest of us.

And nails are a stupid waste of money anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment